What a treat to enjoy a chilled soup when the weather is miserably hot and sticky. Here’s a refreshing and simple to make recipe for cucumber soup. Nothing could be easier! Just make sure you use a really good whole milk Greek yogurt and plenty of lemon juice and salt and pepper. This soup should be well-seasoned. Enjoy!
Yield: 5 cups
- 2 1/4 pounds cucumbers (peeled, if skin is bitter) halved and seeded—1/2 cup finely diced, the rest coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 – 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice – or more, to taste
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup loosely packed dill
- 1/4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Fresh ground white pepper
- 1/2 red onion, finely choppedIn a blender, combine the chopped cucumber with the yogurt, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, dill, parsley, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Season the soup again just before serving. Pour the soup into bowls. Garnish with the finely diced cucumber, red onion and a drizzle of olive oil and serve.