It’s been such a hot summer, so it’s a perfect time for a cold soup. This is a GREEN Gazpacho – it’s taking advantage of the delicious cucumbers that have just become available and all of our beautiful greens. This recipe is a starting point – feel free to improvise with greens and herbs that appeal to you.
- 4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped 2 leaves of kale, stemmed and torn into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves 1⁄2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or lemon juice 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle pepper (optional)
Place all ingredients into the jar of a strong blender. Pulse and blend until smooth. Taste and add additional salt, pepper, vinegar and oil, as necessary. Chill well – at least 4 hours – taste again before serving, as the flavors mellow out when it’s cold.